Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Morrison Resigns

Rob Morrison resigned from CBS 2 News today and released this statement:
My family is my first and only priority right now and I have informed CBS 2 management that I need to put all of my time and energy into making sure that I do what's best for my wife and my son. I very much appreciate the opportunity that CBS 2 has given me and I thank them for accepting my decision.
He had been the anchor of CBS 2 News This Morning and CBS 2 News at Noon for the last two years and previously anchored on weekends and reported during the week.

Morrison tweeted this afternoon:

Morrison spoke with FishbowlNY's Jerry Barmash and was defiant when it came to the police charges of red marks on his wife Ashley's neck: "Police can say anything they want. Is there any sort of photographic evidence? There is none."

The Daily News reports Morrison faces five years in prison if convicted of the strangulation charge.

Proof that you can't believe everything you read about this story, there are contradictory reports about what happened behind-the-scenes Monday morning.  From the Daily News' story:
Officials at WCBS were livid that the "News at Noon" anchor allegedly lied to them about the bruises on his face when he came to work Monday, sources said.
He "misled station management and has made a horrible situation even worse," a source said.
Whereas FishbowlNY reported a source said yesterday:
"Evidently, he lied to the station about how his face was injured when he called in sick. That alone is a serious offense."
He either called in sick or showed up for work, depending on which source you believe.

The station's website quickly pulled Morrison's bio today (though they still list Asa Aarons, who was let go months ago, as a reporter).  Promos featuring Morrison have been pulled from the air.  The topical spots for the morning newscast now feature only Mary Calvi speaking and a full screen graphic has replaced the shot of the anchor team smiling.

The CBS 2 News This Morning Facebook page (which, incidentally, Morrison created when he moved to weekdays) changed its cover photo to an image of the Manhattan skyline, though team photos including the now former anchor are still visible when looking at older images.

No comments: